Forums

More Than Neighbours :: Forums :: Reports :: Project Group Chemnitz
 
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
The history of Music in Chemnitz
Moderators: Felix Förster, Eberhard Klotz, Claudia Glashauser
Author Post
Norbert Komorek
Mon Feb 06 2012, 03:28PM

Registered Member #4
Joined: Tue Jan 31 2012, 04:53PM
Posts: 4



The city of Chemnitz is not only a place for industry and mechanical engineering.
It has always been a center of culture life too. An important part of culture in Chemnitz is the history of music.
In 1833 August Mejo already founded the first orchestra of Chemnitz.
When the opera house (at the time City Theatre) was built in 1909 this orchestra experienced many successfully years.
The opera house, located on the theatre square, was designed and built by the city architect Richard Möbius. The financing was supported by 182 public figures and factories of Chemnitz with donations.

In 1912, Anton Richard Tauber took over the management of the Chemnitz City Theatre. He was very successful during his 18 year term of office as artistic director. His son, the famous singer Richard Tauber, started his career at the Opera House in 1914 and performed several times in Chemnitz. The successor of Anton Richard Tauber, Hans Hartmann, could not prevent that during the Nazi reign the members of the City Orchestra were reduced to 50. In 1933 all Jewish musicians were removed.
The Opera House was destructed during the second World War by bombs in March 1945.
After the war, the building was already recovered from 1947 to 1951. The Music Theatre was reopened in 1951 with Beethoven's Opera "Fidelio".
The former Assistant of Walter Felsenstein  Carl Riha (from Austria) moved from the Komische Oper Berlin in 1957 to Chemnitz and successfully worked as Opera Director until 1989.
The necessary reconstruction and renovation of the Opera House took place from 1988 to 1992 by the architects Günter Hauptmann, Jochen Krueger and Karl-Heinz Barth.

Since that time, the Opera House in Chemnitz has been one of the most modern opera houses in Germany.
Since 2006 Bernhard Helmich has been the General Director of the Theatre Chemnitz with the fields musical theatre, drama and puppet theatre.
The musical quality of the municipal Orchestra has been improved significantly by GMD Gerhardt Dieter Worm, who managed it from 1975 to 1993.
In 1983, the 150th anniversary of the Orchestra, it was named into "Robert - Schumann-Philharmonie".
GMD Frank Beermann has been the conductor of this orchestra with more than 100 musicians since 2007.
Since that time many international guest performances have been occurred, for example in New York, Israel, Venedig ,Rom etc.
In 2009, the Robert - Schumann-Philharmonie received the echo classic award for the CD "Concerts for piano and Orchestra, Mendelssohn".
Today, the Robert - Schumann-Philharmonie is a modern Orchestra with a high musical level and a diverse repertoire of classical concerts, Opera, Operetta and musicals.

The musicians play more than 180 performances all over the year with Opera, Operetta, Musicals and Ballet in the Opera House and regular Symphonic Concerts in the City Hall of Chemnitz.
The musical "Aida" written by Tim Rice, music by Elton John, is new in repertoire. The premiere in September 2011 the Opera House was one of the most successful performances in the recent years.
Despite considerable financial problems, the musical theatre in Chemnitz could keep his high artistic level and expand.
Today the Opera Chemnitz occupies a significant place in the opera houses of Germany.
Back to top
 

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF
Powered by e107 Forum System