<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Utilization of old industrial buildings
Moderators: Felix Förster, Eberhard Klotz, Claudia Glashauser
Author Post
Harry Weinert
Wed Jul 03 2013, 09:58PM
Registered Member #8

Industrial culture 
The structure of industry has changed essentially in the last 30 years, particularly in the textile industry in eastern part of Germany. The political changing of the system has accelerated this process. A large lot of textile companies   had to crease the production. Subsequently many factory buildings often with valuable, particular historical building style and facades stood empty, rotted and declined.
Question: What should, what can we do with these old factory buildings? Pull down? In the case the building fabric is unsightly, degenerated and the cost of restoring the ability to use would be very high, the old fabric building should be give way for new. But when it comes to valuable structural substances, you should find a solution this to get out and a new reasonable use implements.In the annex I want to demonstrate an example for conversion and future use of old industrial buildings. In the down called Flöha in Saxony a large spinning mill (80.000 pcs. of ring spindles) was closed in 1994.(To remember: on the occasion of our  final meeting in Chemnitz/ Lichtenwalde 10 participant  took place on a bike tour to this former spinning mill). More than 40.000 m² in 9 Buildings were unused.  But the government of the Saxon State states as a high profile monument of Saxon industrial and architectural history.  One of the buildings, the former spinning hall shall to be converted to a “Village for children”. The Saxon State and the City administration   are going to invested about 17Mill. Euro for this project. Places for full day care of 360 children will arise. The facade of the original building remains.In my opinion it will be reasonable and beneficial investment.
What can we better do than to make investments in/for our children?I’m interested to learn, which experiences could collect our partners in their countries about the reasonable utilization of old industrial buildings? Please answer me, very thanks for your cooperation
By the way, the highwater flood in our region in the last few days had not destroyed  any things on the side of the "Village for children". What a fortune!
Written by Harry Weinert ( harry.weinert@t-online.de)

alte_bw.flha18.05.13.pdf
alte_bw.flhadt18.06.13.pdf

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF