<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Easter riding in Saxony
Moderators: Felix Förster, Eberhard Klotz, Claudia Glashauser
Author Post
Ingeborg Morgner
Tue Feb 26 2013, 06:07PM
Registered Member #3

An Easter tradition in a part of Saxony
 Now I want to write about the second tradition. Soon Easter is near, and I want to tell you how the Sorbs celebrate this holiday.
 It is the custom of the Easter riding. Sorbian and German Catholics practice the tradition together. The riders with their horses have a meeting in the morning of Easter Sunday.They are dressed in black frock coats and cylinders, and their horses are magnificently decorated and they wear bright ribbons or myrtle in their manes.
Then the riders are blessed in front of the home church and then they are sent to the neighbouring municipality in order to proclaim the resurrection of Christ.
 There are ten such processions of horsemen in the “Lausitz”, but which must not meet each other on their way.This rule is kept also strictly.
Led by the flag bearers with church banners, cross and a statue of the risen Christ and the procession men go praying and singing on the way. Many people welcome the riders back in their home places. The Easter celebration is finished with a common thanksgiving service for all horse riders in a church at the Easter Tuesday.  About 1,700 riders participate in these processions each year. 
   Pictures by uploadwikimedia.org, Julian Nietzsche  

jvedralova
Mon Apr 08 2013, 08:54PM
Registered Member #79
Dear Inge. It is a good idea to see the Easter riding. It is not far from Liberec. Next year we take our grandchildren to Lauzitz. Jarka from Liberec
elvira
Thu Apr 11 2013, 08:01PM
Registered Member #33

Dear Ingeborg, I liked very much to read about the easter riding, i'd never heard about it before, and it is a very interesting event, thanks very much for showing us that kind of things that made to know better the customs of european countries.
Best regards, see you soon
Elvira from A Coruña

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF