Forums

More Than Neighbours :: Forums :: Reports :: Project Group Chemnitz
 
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
The City of Chemnitz
Moderators: Felix Förster, Eberhard Klotz, Claudia Glashauser
Author Post
Felix Förster
Mon Feb 06 2012, 04:37PM
Administrator

Registered Member #1
Joined: Tue Jan 31 2012, 01:26PM
Posts: 7

THIS TEXT IS A RESULT FROM THE ENGLISH CLASS AND WRITTEN BY THE PARTICIPANTS

Our hometown Chemnitz is located in Saxony, and it has an expansion of nearly 220 km². Nowadays 243,000 inhabitants live in Chemnitz and the city is the third largest in Saxony. But it is also the city with the oldest population in Europe. The federal state Saxony has common borderlines with the EU-states Poland und Czech Republic. Saxony is famous for their economic development, especially for mining, agriculture, textile industry, engineering and automotive production (Audi, VW, BMW, Porsche) as well as microelectronic.

  


The first mentioned settlement was alread
y found in the 12th century, and Chemnitz became a significant center of textile industry in the 14th century. The city developed to one of the most important industrial centers during the time of the industrialization in whole Germany. In 1883 already 100,000 inhabitants lived in the city. The population grew rapidly until World War I. The majority of them were workers in factories. From the middle of the 19th century until World War II Chemnitz became the most important location for machine tool production in Germany. In the 1920s 320.000 people lived in Chemnitz and a lot of new buildings were built at that time. The most populous time of the city with 360,000 inhabitants were the 1930s. 80% of the city was destroyed during the Second World War, but the first new buildings were already built in the 1950s.
During the time of the GDR the city was renamed into "Karl-Marx-Stadt". The Karl-Marx-Monument still reminds of these days. But actually the real and oldest landmark of Chemnitz is the "Red Tower", which was already built in the 12th century.
The town was renamed back in Chemnitz in 1990. After the German reunion a lot of companies were closed or were scaled down to only 10 or 20 % of the former capacity. Many people in the city became unemployed or had to find new work in western Germany. The inhabitants in the city decreased to 300,000 in 1990. But from the 1990s until today Chemnitz has developed step by step to one of the strongest and most modern industrial cities in the middle of Germany. The main industries are now automotive engineering, automation and micro system technology as well as coating technology and materials.
After the reunification the city center got many new interesting architectural buildings, e.g. shopping malls. But also some of the destroyed buildings were restored and got new functions, too. They became museums, office buildings, a library, the education center, etc.
A good example for that is the “Museum of Industry” in Chemnitz, which was established in an old iron foundry in 2003. It exhibits old machines and plants from the late 18th century until the present as well as a lot of old machine tools, locomotives, cars and textile machines.
Today an architectural highlight is the area “Kassberg”, which is not far from the city center. It has 600 restored buildings in art nouveau. But also the art nouveau villa "Esche", designed by the architect van the Velde, is an architectural jewel of the city.
Chemnitz is a very interesting place for people, who are interested in culture, too. The National Art Gallery Museum with the museum "Gunzenhauser" exhibits a large collection of paintings from German expressionistic painters. In the theatre of Chemnitz you can watch operas and plays and listen to symphonic music. The civic center offers a wide range of events for every taste. The city is also very famous for sports. Many world champions as well as winners of Olympic medals have or had their homes in our town. The names Katherina Witt and Lars Riedel are well known everywhere in the world. Another worldwide known attraction of our city is the “Petrified Forest”, which were already found in the 17th and 18th century in Chemnitz. Most of them you can see in the culture shopping center "DAStiez". "DAStiez" was original built for the department store of the Jewish family Tiez in 1912/13. It was restored and opened in 2004 and hosts the library, the evening school and the Museum of Natural History.
Now Chemnitz bears the name "City of Modernity". It relates to the industrial innovations, modern technologies and the modern style of life. Past and future meet here in an impressive way. Chemnitz is also a very green town with a large parks and broad lawns.

nischel.jpg

                
Chemnitz University of Technology  

Studying in Chemnitz - knowing what´s well. That is the slogan Chemnitz University of Technology (CUT) promotes on their website. You can look back on a 175-year tradition in the field of research and teaching. The foundations for the close link between engineering and science in the south-west of Saxony, which still has a determining influence on study and research at CUT, go back to the 16th century. What is now CUT had its foundation with the establishment of the Royal Mercantile College in 1836, which catered to the region's demand for a well-trained workforce.
Due to increasing student numbers and the need for the introduction of other technical areas of teaching, it was renamed the National Academy of Engineering in 1929. At that time it had five departments: mechanical engineering, chemical and textile chemical engineering, architecture and construction engineers, electrical engineers and textile engineering.
In 1947, after the devastating bomb attacks in 1945 teaching resumed. In 1963 the status was awarded to a Technical Academy.
The name “Technical University” was declared in 1986. After the integration of the College of Education in Zwickau the university was renamed in “Technical University Chemnitz-Zwickau”.
In 1997 the facility was awarded the title University of Technology. The training is conducted in the Faculties of Natural Science, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering/ Information Technology, Computer Science, Economics and Business Administration, Humanities, Behavioural and Social Sciences.
At the moment there are more than 10,300 registered students, following in the footsteps of famous scientists and scholars such as Adolf Ferdinand Weinhold (1841-1917, inventor of the Thermos flask) or Carl von Bach (1847-1931) and Clemens Winkler (1838-1904, who discovered the chemical element Germanium).
The contemporary research and science are characterized by “Energy efficient production processes“, “Human Factors in Technology” and “Smart Systems and Materials“. The university has two “Frauenhofer Institutes” – the Smart System Campus and the Technology Park, which are good connections between research and practically orientated studies. Engineering and Natural Science as well as Mathematics are well connected with Business Administration, Humanities, Behavioural and Social Sciences.
Furthermore the university keeps relationships with over 100 worldwide partner institutions. This intensive international engagement becomes apparent in the increasing number of foreign students and scientists. There are over 600 foreign students. 222 of it are freshly enrolled in 2011. Most of them come from China, Czech Republic and Turkey.
The development and education of children, students and seniors is very important for Chemnitz University of Technology. That clarifies the Children University, the Future Truck, the Creativity Center as well as the Senior College. Hence the university enables Life Long Learning.

imuseum.jpg


The Senior College at the University of Chemnitz

The Senior College at the Chemnitz University of Technology is an offer for further education for the elderly people but also open for the younger generations.
It provides interesting knowledge of various topics from science and technology, history, art and politics.
Since it has been founded in 1993 by Prof. Schöne the number of participants at the age of 55 to 91 years has increased from 150 to 860. The proportion of women and men is nearly the same. Each senior citizen can take part; an academic degree is not required.
The lectures in the summer and in winter semester take place once a week in the big lecture hall at the university.
In addition, the Senior College offers computer courses, English classes and photography courses for small groups, too. Furthermore there are some excursions to well-known industrial companies, museums and universities, etc.
The connection to other similar institutions within and outside of Germany is very important for the Senior College. These connections are maintained at the moment by the Grundtvig project "More than neighbours" with the European partners Belgium, Czech Republic, Italy, Spain, Poland and Slovenia (by the way this the senior colleges third Grundtvig project).
The Senior College offers many ways to stay mentally fit and communicative in the age.


Back to top
 

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF
Powered by e107 Forum System